Attachment Aware & Emotional Coaching
We are one of the first Accredited Attachment Aware Schools in Wales.
At the heart of what we do is the belief that in order for significant learning to take place there must be significant relationships surrounding the learner.
We know that learners need positive relationships to enable self esteem and confidence to grow.
We believe it is important for us as a school to:
- Have a good understanding of the impact of significant relational traumas and losses upon pupils - all staff have undertaken Trauma Informed training and we have one member of staff who has achieved the Trauma Informed Diploma.
- Ensure that all staff are trained in Emotion Coaching and this lies at the heart of our Positive Behaviour Policy
- Have access to an attachment framework to support us in understanding and supporting behaviours
- Identify Key Adults to work with individual pupils, and that these adults are supported to do this well
- Have consistency in our approach
- Ensure our Staff well-being is good in order to optimise care giving capacities and ensure stability and retention of staff
- Engage in relentless care
- Facilitate relational proximity rather than distance at times of difficulty with the pupil
- Engage in a careful balance of both nurture and gentle challenge to support learned security
- Work closely with families to develop a shared understanding of the pupil reflecting on possible stressors and calmers.
Emotion Coaching is central to our approach.
Emotion Coaching is based on the principle that nurturing and emotionally supportive relationships provide optimal contexts for the promotion of children's outcomes and resilience. Mrs Adams, our Headteacher is a qualified Emotion Coaching Practitioner and all our staff are trained in this approach.
It is known that Emotion Coached children and young people tend to:
Achieve well academically in school
Have fewer behavioural problems
Have fewer infectious illnesses
Be more emotionally stable
Be more resilient
This link gives more information about Emotion Coaching.