Attachment Aware School
At Cosheston VC School we believe in the importance of being an Attachment Aware School.
The staff have attended training in this and Emotion Coaching in order to best support the children. Our behaviour policy is based on these principles.
An attachment aware school is one where the whole staff:
- Have a good understanding of the impact of significant relational traumas and losses upon pupils
- Have attachment principles firmly embedded within all their policies
- Use an attachment framework to understand behaviours
- Know who the troubled pupils are in their school
- Prioritise employing and supporting key adults to build special relationships with troubled pupils
- Engage in quality staff care to optimise care giving capacities and ensure stability and retention of staff
- Understand the developmental age of the pupils in their care differentiating emotional and social tasks and expectations
- Engage in relentless care
- Facilitate relational proximity rather than distance at times of difficulty with the pupil
- Engage in a careful balance of both nurture and gentle challenge to support troubled pupils into learned security
- Work closely with the family to develop a shared understanding of the pupil reflecting on possible stressors and calmers.
'The designated member of staff for Attachment Awareness and for looked after children, adopted children and children who have experienced parental loss and/or bereavement is Mrs K Adams
Some useful links